1. The planning of this PAU Road Race started when I stayed at the COCOS Beach Resort for a night before I started my “West To East” Adventure Run last middle of March of this year. This was the place where I started my run. I was able to meet Mang Ador as the Manager/Caretaker of this facility and I featured a post about our conversation which transpired when I checked-in for the night.
2. After four months, I returned to the place to coordinate with the conduct of this race. The COCOS Beach Resort is the official starting area of the race and the whole place was arranged to be “blocked off” and to be used exclusively for the participants/runners and their support crew on Friday, August 19, 2011. The resort is located in Barangay Ilog-Malino, Bolinao, Pangasinan. For reservations and inquiries on pricing/rates of rooms & cottages, please contact Mang Ador or Ms. Sid Tombaga at Cellphone Number 0919-691-4206. For those who choose to bring their camping tents, a fee of P 200.00 per person will be charged.
3. For those who opted to register on site, please arrive at the place before 4:00 AM of Saturday (Race Day), August 20, 2011 and please look for me or my staff. Team Bald Runner will be in the starting area in the afternoon of Friday.
4. The road race will start at exactly 5:00 AM of Saturday, August 20 with a cut-off time of 12 hours.
5. Participants are advised to have their respective support vehicle. If you don’t have any support vehicle, make sure to carry with you a hydration system and some cash to use to buy for your hydration and food needs as there are lots of sari-sari stores along the route. Runners coming from Metro Manila without support vehicle can take the 5 Star Bus to Bolinao, Pangasinan. Buses leave their Manila terminal/station for Bolinao every 30 minutes.
6. For a brief description of the race route, you can refer back to my posts on the month of March of this year when I ran the “Wset To East” Adventure Run. The first 20K will be a slight uphill up to the boundary of Bolinao and Bani. There is a zigzag downhill part between the boundary of Bolinao & Bani and runners are advised to take it easy on their downhill run as they might “burn” their quadriceps muscles early in the race. Bani to Alaminos will be relatively flat but the heat of the sun will be the main problem for the runners. Runners are advised to hydrate themselves regularly on this part of the course. The approach to the Poblacion of Alamaninos will be slight uphill but after the poblacion, everything will be flat. The last 5-6K of the course, as the runners approach the Municipality of Sual, will be a continouos uphill climb with the last one kilometer to the Finish Line will be a fast downhill one. Finish Line will be located infront of Sual’s Sports and Civic Center Building.
7. Pacers will not be allowed during the race. There will be checkpoints along the course and runners would make sure that their Race Bibs will be “punched” by the attending marshall in each checkpoint. Of course, “bandits” will not be allowed to run.
8. For a slight change from our previous PAU Races, we will be giving a different kind of Finisher’s Shirt (“muscle shirt”) to all the Finishers which they can use in their running workouts. We have changed to a better name for the road race as depicted on the said Finisher’s Shirt. I guess, each ultra runner must have a piece of this stuff!
9. For the Podium Finishers ( Top 3 Overall & Top 3 Ladies), they will receive a mini-replica trophy of the following picture:
Good luck to all the runners. See you at the starting area on Friday or Saturday early morning.