Since the time I read the book, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes, I had been introduced to a Mountain Trail Ultramarathon Race Event called “The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run”. Eversince, I’ve been annually trying to know the winners and “stars” of this event. It is fortunate that in this year’s event, the top 100-milers in the USA and Europe competed in this prestigious race.
As a mental “prep” for the Marathon Runners in tomorrow’s 34th MILO Marathon Elimination Race, I am posting the following article which I copied at the Ultrarunning Magazine’s Online Site. However, it would be much better to continue visiting the links and blogs of the key runners, Geoof Roes and Anton Krupicka for their detailed story about their race.
I hope my readers who will be running their Marathon Race (42K) will be mentally prepared and inspired to do their best in tomorrow’s race. Good luck to everybody and see you tomorrow morning.
Relax and read!
Roes Wins Epic Western States Battle in Record Time (Copied from Ultrarunning Magazine)
Tracy Garneau of Vernon, British Columbia was the women’s winner, leading most of the race. She posted a 19:01:55 winning time despite fighting Achilles tendon issues the last 20 miles. Meghan Arbogast was second, in an impressive performance at age 49.
The weather was not an ally of the runners, with the high temperature in Auburn reaching 93 degrees F. A record 123 silver buckles were earned by runners breaking 24 hours, besting the 106 in 1997. Out of the 426 starters, a record 327 finished the race within the 30 hour time limit.
1. Geoff Roes, 34, Juneau, AK, 15:07:04 (new course record, old record 15:36:27 by Scott Jurek, 2004)
2. Anton Krupicka, 26, Boulder, CO, 15:13:53
3. Kilian Jornet Burgada, 22, Puigcerda, Spain, 16:04:49
4. Nick Clark, 36, Fort Collins, CO, 16:05:56
5. Zach Miller, 34, Bozeman, MT, 16:55:17
6. Gary Robbins, 33, North Vancouver, BC, 17:06:21
7. Glen Redpath, 44, New York, NY, 17:10:06
8. Ian Sharman, 29, Scaldwell, Great Britain, 17:26:19
9. Andy Jones-Wilkins, 42, Ketchum, ID, 17:31:24
10. Dan Barger, 44, Auburn, CA, 17:36:34
1. Tracy Garneau, 41, Vernon, BC, 19:01:55
2. Meghan Arbogast, 49, Corvallis, OR, 19:15:58
3. Nikki Kimball, 39, Bozeman, MT, 19:23:09
4. Rory Bosio, 25, Soda Springs, CA, 19:32:07
5. Caren Spore, 42, Davis, CA, 19:34:29
6. Becky Wheeler, 35, Casper, WY, 19:58:40
7. Joelle Vaught, 35, Boise, ID, 20:19:36
8. Annette Bednosky, 43, Jefferson, NC, 20:43:04
9. Angela Shartel, 36, San Diego, CA, 21:28:06
10. Pam Smith, 35, Salem, OR, 21:36:04
You can read the Race Report of Geoff Roes at www.akrunning.blogspot.com
You can read the Race Report of Anton Krupicka at http://www.runningtimes.com//Article.aspx?ArticleID=20048
You can also visit the blog of Rick Gaston at http://365ultra.blogspot.com