In a short notice and invitation to all Road Race Organizers, the first official meeting with PATAFA was successfully held yesterday morning at the PATAFA Office from 8:30-10:30 AM.
The objective of the meeting was to discuss “concerns” that were brought to the attention to Mr Go Teng Kok on the conduct of Road Races in the country. The meeting started at exactly 8:30 AM even if only two of the representatives were present. However, in a few minutes and during my presentation/discussion, the meeting was attended by most of the Road Race Organizers. In the absence of the President of PATAFA, I presided the meeting and the following personalities were in attendance during the said meeting:
Vic Pielago III—-Race Organizer from Condura Durables, Inc
Froilan Carnay—Assistant Race Organizer from Condura Durables, Inc.
Jo-Ar Calvadores—Representative of Coach Rio De La Cruz of Finishline
Ben Alacar—-Father & Representative of Ian Alacar
Melvin Bolus—Owner of MLB Road Race Specialist
Tia De Guzman—Pep Squad Events & Marketing Co.
Marj Dayrit—Pep Squad Events & Marketing Co.
Gay Maddela—Argent Network
Joselito “Joey” Santos—PATAFA Staff on Road Race Measurement & Timer
Out of these Road Race Organizers, the following were absent and were not represented during the meeting: Mr Rudy Biscocho of RACE; Mr Imperio of EXTRIBE; The North Face Race Organizer; Thumbie Remigio; Maryanne Ringor; and Mr Adi De Los Reyes of E-ventolists, Inc. However, I hope they will be able to attend the next meeting.
The following concerns of the President, PATAFA were presented to the attendees and each of them were discussed:
1) Increase in the Number of Road/Trail Races and Number of Runners in the past two years.
2) Increase in the Number of Road Race Organizers
3) Corporate’s & Private Sector’s Involvement in the Conduct of Road Races
4) Foreign Runners in Local Races (Presence of the Kenyans in short distance road races)
5) “Standards” & Protocol In the Conduct of Road Races (Accurate Distance, Aid/Water Stations, Timing & Results of Races, Density & Volume of Runners vs. Width of our Roads; Safety; Traffic of Vehicles; and others)
6) Role of PATAFA in Road Races (Race Sanction and Accreditation of Race Organizers
7) Role of PATAFA in the Schedule of Road Races
8) Increase in the Amount of Registration Fees
1) PATAFA shall conduct a one-day seminar to all Road Race Organizers at the PATAFA Office with the objective of presenting the Guidelines For The Conduct of Road Racing based from IAAF standards and protocol.
2) Road Race Organizers who will complete this Road Race Seminar will be automatically accredited by PATAFA and should adhere to its policies. It is therefore advisable that all Road Races shall be supervised by PATAFA from their planning stage to their execution.
3) Organize a formal group or association among Road Race Organizers in order to instill open communication and teamwork among its members. This group will elect their officers and the PATAFA will act as a supervisor/consultant/adviser of the group.
4) Maintain a Regular Monthly Meeting among the Road Race Organizers.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 AM.
On a personal note, I think this first meeting of the Road Race Organizers was a success where the role of PATAFA in the conduct of any form of Athletics (track & field) and road races was emphasized. Let us support PATAFA so that running will sustain its impact in promoting an active lifestyle down to the “grassroots” level.
My sincerest thanks to all those who attended this first and significant meeting among the Road Race Organizers. Let us cooperate with one another and remember always to provide the best quality service to our paying runners in every road race.