The following are the reasons why I am going to join the 2nd Subic International Marathon where SMART is the Major Sponsor of this running event:
1) Location of the Route—If you want a variety of running route in your Marathon running experience, then the route of the SMART Subic International Marathon is the best! The new SCTEX’s Floridablanca’s Exit/Entry will be the starting area and the finish line is located at the Remy Field’s Oval Track, inside the Subic Freeport. This is a chance to leave Metro Manila for awhile in order to change your running environment. As compared to the route in last year’s Marathon Race, this year’s route is more pleasing and better for the runners, most especially to those who are intending to finish their first Marathon Race.
2) Pollution-Free—Unlike in Marathon Races held in Metro Manila, the SMART SIM offers a race route that is free from pollution—air and noise pollution. The route is devoid of heavy traffic of vehicles, no buildings, no populated areas, and no distractions. No crazy or yelling drivers at you while you are running. No intersections and no pedestrians! Everything that you see around you along the route is the long asphalted road infront of you; the rice fields seen on both sides of the Expressway; hills and mountains on your front and right side and sometimes on your left side when the highway cuts through a hill.
3) Running Surface—The expressway is made of asphalt which a softer and more forgiving surface for our running legs than the concrete-paved roads. Runners would not notice it but the running surface in a marathon race gives a big factor on how our running legs perform in a long distance road race. However, since the cross-section view of the highway is curved on its edges, it is advisable for the runners to shift to the more level part of the highway. I am sure I will be running along that white paint protion on the edge of the road because it is softer than the asphalt.
4) Time of the Race—The race starts at 4:00PM which I think will be the first full Marathon Race to be held on such time of the day in the history of Road Racing in the country. The North Star 10K Run in Laoag City & Paoay, Ilocos Norte is the only Road Race then that starts at 4:00PM on the 3rd Saturday of December. I am sure the sun is still on the west horizon and about to set. This is the time when the heat of the asphalt road and the cooler air that is brought by the setting of the sun would meet. It is expected that the temperature and humudity will still be high but this will be compensated with winds/breeze coming from the mountains and the rice fields. Runners would have a chance and expect to see the sunset on the horizon while running which in contrast with the usual morning road races that we join in Metro Manila.
5) Registration Fee is Cheap!—As compared to the other Marathon Races, this race is very cheap and the singlet that goes with it is nice and of good quality. This is one of the few Marathon Races where you can have your Race Packet (with singlet) given to you once you submit your registration form.