1. If you read the book “The Heart of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad or had watched the movie “Apocalypse Now” which was entirely filmed in the Philippines, you know the significance or relation of what I’ve written as my title post as to what had happened last November 23 in Maguindanao.
2. Looking at the place where the November 23 Massacre had happened as I saw in the daily newspapers and TV News, I realized that this was the very same place where I was assigned as a new graduate from the Philippine Military Academy. This is where I got my “baptism” of fire from the enemy—a combat encounter with the MNLF and later an ambush from them along the highway a few days before Christmas.
3. In the 70s, the “warlords” in Mindanao were the Military Commanders! A simple order from them could obliterate a barangay from the map! Now, things had changed, the “warlords” are the politicians who adhere to the saying, that power comes from the barrel of a gun. A simple order from them results to a massacre. As a result, the military/police commanders are relieved from their posts because of these incidents. This trend started after the Marcos Administration.
4. My deepest sympathy and condolences to the family & friends of those 52 victims of the Nov 23 Massacre, 13 of them are journalists. The worst incident in the history of journalism, in a day.
5. Why am I writing about this incident in a running blog? Because I want justice to the victims, most especially to the journalists! Bloggers are considered as the most privileged “journalists” because they could write and publish anything under the sun ( in real-time) without the supervision and guidance of an Editor and the screening powers of a Publisher. In my own way, I consider myself as a “journalist”. Thanks to the Internet!
6. Have you observed that most of the “presidentiables” have started to publish their own blogsite in the Internet? I don’t believe that they are the ones personally administering and posting their blogs. In one of the blogsites, I posted this comment, “Why just now”? I did not mind visiting their blogs again. “Presidentiables” on Facebook & Twitter? I don’t think so…they could not even give you a reply!
6. I am writing this post in the middle of the Sierra Madre Mountains while making a “surprise” visit to my “boys”. It’s cold and raining here but “the boys” are on the road and trails doing their daily running workout. I just saw what is written in their bulletin board—”Long Run–42K & Up”.
7. The mountains are vast and very enticing. If you are a military commander, you look at the mountains in terms of “axis of attack”; “defensible position”; “cover & concealment”; “strong points”; “strategic point”, etc. If you are a golfer, you look at a mountain in terms whether it can accommodate a 9-hole; 18-hole or a 36-hole golf course with the Clubhouse, the lakes and sand traps. If you are a “hardcore” runner, you look at a mountain if it can offer a 50K; 100K; or a 50/100-Mile Trail Run course!
8. My appreciation and thanks to those who wished me for my early recovery and to those who suggested “medications” and “cross-training”. Yes, I am getting more “crazy” after weeks of not running.
9. By the way, right now, I am wearing my running shorts & shirt in BLACK. See you this Sunday’s NB Run in “black” running attire!