Hereunder are the famous lines or reasons every runner/marathoner says when he/she does not attain his/her goal or DNF in a marathon race:
1. I did not train hard. I ran lesser mileage in practice this time.
2. I had an injury. I was in pain.
3. I should have used my other running shoes.
4. The marathon organizer “sucks”.
5. I did not have time to practice.
6. I had stomach cramps…I have cramps on my legs
7. I did not have much “speed runs” and “fartleks”.
8. I did not have my “second wind”. My “second wind” came very late.
9. I was wearing the wrong runners outfit. My singlet keeps on rubbing my arms. My shorts keeps on rubbing my groin area.
10. I was not able to have my “carbo-loading” yesterday.
11. I was not able to have my bowel movement before the race.
12. I started with a faster pace on the first half of the marathon. I should have started slowly and then picked-up my pace on the second half.
13. The weather is hot. The race should had started earlier than what was scheduled.
14. The air is polluted. I could hardly breath.
15. The race organizers lacked in the number of water points along the route.
16. I was not able to sleep soundly last night.
17. I joined the race not to compete, but to finish it.
18. I forgot to cut my toe nails before the race. My small toe nails are touching the edge of my shoes’ uppersole and it’s sore!
19. I just recovered from colds/flu/coughing last week/few days before the race.
20. I can’t control myself, I had sex with my wife/girlfriend or husband/boyfriend last night/two nights ago!
21. I should have my body massage two days before the race.
22. My biorythym is low this week.
23. I guess, I overtrained and was able to pass through my peak period.
24. It’s okey..this is just a preparation and part of the training for the next race. I will have a better PR time next time.
25. I need to have more strengthening workouts at the gym.
26. I should drank more energy drinks along the way.
27. My running shoes is heavy. I have to buy a lighter shoes immediately.
28. I used the wrong socks for today’s race. I got blisters on my foot.
29. I should have trained more days in altitude training or in Baguio City.
30. I forgot to use my Ipod! I was listening to a “wrong” list of songs/music.
31. I reached the “wall” too early. I reached the “wall” at mile/km #____and I started to walk.
32. The marshalls could hardly control the traffic at the intersections. I slowed down in every intersection.
33. The food at the “carbo-loading” activity was “garbage”!
34. I forgot to start my stop watch at the starting line. I did not know my exact pace every kilometer.
35. I am still heavy. I need to reduce some more pounds from my weight.
36. I should had warmed-up properly.
37. I need more stretching exercises before the race.